Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New York: One day in January

Today, my first mission was to find a laundry to wash my clothes. So, if you are one day in Manhattan and looking for this service, go there: L C Laundromat, 18 East 30th Street. Very friendly and helpful staff and I payed only 5$ for washing and drying (self-service). Furthermore, the chinese temple music and incense sticks create a relaxing atmosphere.



Then, I went to the Guggenheim Museum (Admission price 18$ and audio guide for free). If you go there on saturday after 5.45 p.m. you can chose the price yourself. And what a surprise inside! I was really impressed by the Maurizio Cattelan exhibition. Fantastic idea to hang up all his art objects like laundry to dry.

Unfortunately, it´s forbidden to take photos in the different galleries. The Thannhauser Collection shows masterpieces of Cezanne, Gauguin, Picasso, Kandinsky, etc. Especially, the wonderful work "Blue painting" from Kandinsky is my favorite in this museum.

I love the contrast of the beautiful ancient picture frames to the modern conception of this building.

Later, I wanted to discover a new area of the central parc and I walked via the 72nd street to the other side of Manhattan.














And because I know that Francois would have brought me here, I was at the famous Strawberry Fields and the Dakota House.









Then, I took the C train till 14th Street for a walk through the Chelsea borough. 








I saw the Empire State Building and I thought it is time to check out the New York view from upstairs. And just half an hour later, I was on the top of this amazing building.
 







2 comments:

  1. ich sehe, du hast eine großartige zeit im big apple! genieß es! und iss mal ein pastrami sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea Hotel, Dakota House, Strawberry Fields: un petit mythe pour moi ;-) ...

    ReplyDelete